Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day

I love fresh new beginnings. Like the dawn of a new day. A new baby. A first tooth. A hug and a I love you mommy (no matter how many of those I have had in my life, each one is just as precious as the first one) A new job or a new promotion. A new seedling poking it's tiny head through the soil for the first time.

This election has really made a huge impact on me. I think the comment I feel says the most about what happened was that, Obama promised change. He was vague. Change would have come with or without him. He promised what everyone wanted and left it to be so vague that millions of Americans filled in their own minds what that meant to them. I hope not too many of them will be disappointed with the future that this new change will bring. I, for one, want them to get what they want and I want them to have wonderful productive lives. I hope this will be a good change. I hope that this country and our freedom we all take for granted becomes a better place in the coming years.

As Obama promised we will see change. Tomorrow we will wake up and we will make new decisions that will mold our day. As our days become molded our lives become our works of art and who we really are become set in gold. The only control we have is over our decisions today. We control our thoughts, our feelings, our attitudes and our actions.

Today for me is a new day. A new beginning. A bright beautiful day. The birds are chirping, the grass is green, the sky is blue (sometimes we have to look through the smog to see it but it is blue), children will laugh today, they will play and find joy. Today will find humble children kneeling in prayer, singing songs of worship, reading their scriptures, hugging their children. Heavenly Father gave us the day and the night, so we will have a new start every 24 hours because some of us need to start over that often.

I want to be a better mother, daughter, sister, neighbor and friend today. I want this new day to be more special than any day before it. This election has taught me to appreciate what I have and it has reminded me that just because I live in this wonderful country doesn't mean I am entitled to everything I want. I have to make the most of what I have. I have to appreciate what has been given to me. I want Heavenly Father to know that I love him, that I am truly grateful for me being born in America. I appreciate the opportunity that I have been born period. That I get to have a body, that I get to have this experience. I appreciate that I have a family. I am grateful for our living prophet and for the technology that makes it so I can instantly hear the things I need to know to be the person I want to be. I am grateful too for the agency that I have to chose good and bad, truth or lies, to be righteous or a sinner. I am grateful that he trusted me to do what it takes to return to him and is giving me a chance to prove myself. I am grateful for the atonement. I am grateful for today, a new day.

2 comments:

Salsa Mama said...

So, so true! And beautiful. YOU should be the speech writer! :)

Shelly said...

Debe i was wondering how you were able to get that little slide show working on your blog?? I want to put it on my blog but i can't figure it out? Your blog is so cute Joseph is getting so big!! I miss hanging out with you guys..