Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sunday Game

We were being bad and didn't go to the Regional Conference. I know I should have gone. I know I needed to set a good example for Joseph. It just didn't happen.
Sooooo.... I decided that I needed to do something fun and spiritual by nature to replace the time we should have been at our meeting.
We played the game from the new Children's Friend. It the Scripture Picture Game but we had to adapt it to just the two of us and one of us can't read good enough to play this game. What we did was when Joseph landed on a scripture I read it to him and he drew the picture. When I landed on a scripture I drew the picture and had him guess (most of mine I even had to explain to him what the scripture was... it turned out to be a really good learning experience)
Here is the pictures we drew (not everything was scriptures and drawing, some were singing a song or naming an ancestor, etc.

The first one is Joseph's from Jonah 1:17
17 ¶ Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish athree days and three nights.
Then mine from Ephesians 6:13
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Then Joseph was asked to draw 2 ways to show reverence.
Then he got D&C 119:4
4 And after that, those who have thus been atithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord.
Joseph then got to draw 2 ways of being a good friend. He cracks me up. His niece is his best friend... he has glasses and she has pretty eye lashes. The first picture he is sharing and the second he is letting her go first on the slide.
He then got Alma 46:12&13
12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it—aIn memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.
13 And he fastened on his head-plate, and his abreastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the btitle of liberty) and he cbowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of dChristians remain to possess the land—
I got Exodus 3:2
2 And the aangel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of bfire out of the midst of a cbush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

We got (in two separate turns) the story of the Wise and Foolish man. I got 3 Nephi 14:24-25 and a couple of turns later Joseph got vrs. 26-27. I love all the pieces of his house just laying around next to each other.
24 Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a arock

25 And the arain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it bfell not, for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not shall be likened unto a afoolish man, who built his house upon the bsand

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

This is 1 Nephi 4:8-9, this one surprised me to be in there to draw, but they didn't add the scripture where he kills him.... hmmmm
8 And when I came to him I found that it was Laban.

9 And I beheld his asword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.

D&C 29:2 (I am not sure I ever got Joseph to understand the concept of this one... he was happy to draw a mommy chicken and her baby)
2 Who will agather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and bhumble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.
this one cracks me up. when there has never been a picture of an object it is subject to interpretation... and this is Joseph's go ahead take a guess of what it is before you read on... LOL
1Nephi 16:10
10 And it came to pass that as my father arose in the morning, and went forth to the tent door, to his great astonishment he beheld upon the ground a round aball of curious workmanship; and it was of fine brass. And within the ball were two spindles; and the one bpointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness.
And what LDS scripture game would be complete without 1Nephi 16:18
18 And it came to pass that as I, Nephi, went forth to slay food, behold, I did break my bow, which was made of fine asteel; and after I did break my bow, behold, my brethren were angry with me because of the loss of my bow, for we did obtain no food.

Joseph thought this was the best game ever and we spent some real quality time together and learned more about the scriptures...
He also memorized the first Articles of Faith during the game...

No comments: