Sunday, November 9, 2008

Project Prayer

I have been praying for quite some time about what to do with my photography. I love to take pictures, I really do. When I have tried to work towards building a portfolio so I could start a business I realized that I am too slow at proofing and become overwhelmed and take way too long in getting pictures back to people.  I don't ever want to stop taking pictures for my friends and family. I want them to have a hard copy of today... a photograph of how things are right now at this very moment. I love trying to capture peoples personalities for memory sake. 

Lindsay is very encouraging when it comes to my photography but is a true friend and gives constructive criticism when appropriate. She has often told me that my scenery pictures are her favorites. It is kind of funny to me because I am always telling her she reminds me so much of my mom Millie. Once again she follows my mom's path, because when I was young and drew and painted pictures all the time she always wanted me to do scenery. I take pictures of beauty when I see it. I have taken many trips with Brent with the sole purpose to take pictures of specific areas of nature. We have gone out to the desert in the spring, to Oak Creek in the fall, in the mountains in Utah, and while in Oregon we did a road trip just to see the beauty. When I am trying to channel into my creative side I take my 100mm macro lens out and get an up close look at the world around me... hmmm... that sounds like a fun thing to do tomorrow! 

My kids say I am long winded and pointless sorry I ramble so much...  back to my prayer. I have been praying of how to best use my talents to benefit others. I have been praying for several months about it with no real answers. He always answers my prayers and I haven't felt let down because I haven't felt the answer yet because I assume that I wasn't ready to hear the answer yet. 

The election this fall has impacted me like no other election ever has. I got myself to be ok with the outcome of the presidential race but have been really struggling with the reaction in California of the prop. 8. I am so offended that people are protesting the majority because it wasn't what THEY wanted. They are vowing to get it deemed unconstitutional and have the proposition revoked.  I want desperately to find a way through photography to stand up for family and for what is right. I turned  to prayer of how to do this. 

Also I must mention  after having Brent's big birthday party we created a new project for my sweet husband. We want him to do a concert of his music but didn't feel right about just having a here's my music come see me concert so we have come up with an idea of doing a program that will bring comfort, conversion, and commitment for those that attend... in other words to try to do something that will uplift those that attend and perform. As part of the program he wants a slide show of some of my photography. For weeks I have been praying to know what to do.

So with all of these areas that I have been praying for what to do and  finally getting my self in a place where I can hear my answer... and the ironic part of it is that I am going to do a project of PRAYER. I have other ideas also, like family's working together, family home evenings, reading scriptures, the beauties of the world, temples, and the list goes on. 

My first project will be one of prayer. Family prayer, couples prayers, old couples, young couples, families just starting, families with teens, large families, small families, single moms and dad's with their children. Teaching children to pray, old prayers, young prayers, happy prayers, sad prayers and the list goes on. I am thinking that I would like to go into peoples homes and take pictures of the way THEY pray. To capture the essence of those praying. I am even toying with the idea of getting people of other religions in prayer. I am not sure where this is going or what purpose if any it has but I feel really good inside about doing it. I will probably wait until I get my new camera to go into full swing on this project but would like to start the project sooner than later. I thought I have no idea what I am doing and need to do many practice sessions and figure out lighting in peoples homes and things like release documents for people to sign. I don't know if I feel more excited or more humble by this project but I do know that I don't have to please anyone other than my self and my Heavenly Father which is very liberating to me. 

So why am I blogging about this. Because as with any good project I need help. I need people to be willing to let me come into their homes and take pictures. I need ideas for poses (not really the term I want but I couldn't think of another way to say it). I need ideas of angles to use to be creative. I want to use a diversity of families. A symphony isn't a symphony without lots of different instruments. I need ideas for who to use. If you are interested in you or your family being photographed in my project please feel free to post to this blog or email me at debe at azsong dot com if you would rather be private about it. If you have ideas of other people I can ask please email me. Anyone know anything about writing release forms? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Just let me know. Cake is really cute when we pray right now. She will fold her arms.