Friday, September 19, 2008

Brent's Surprise Party

For Brent's 50th birthday I decided to have a surprise party. I told him this elaborate lie, something about one of our good friends son (that is going on a mission) was having to get married. It just so happened that it was going to be on Brent's birthday and I couldn't do anything about it. I was the perfect ruse because Brent knew Janie would be all upset and need to do lots of phone calls talking about this horrid happening (anytime ANYONE called about the party I told him it was Janie and Brent would tell me to take all the time I needed talking to her and completely understood we needed to talk privately and he didn't mind me leaving the room to talk to her) The party was actually a concert of his music. He writes, arranges and composes church music. So we had 15 songs sung by wonderful singers or played by wonderful violinists. It was an incredible evening. The party was a complete surprise to Brent!
He got to the church and the parking lot was full of cars (which fit for the wedding) then he came into the building and saw Janie in the kitchen and said hi to her. He said as he was walking down the hall he thought it was odd she was in the kitchen but by then he was too busy trying to figure out why I was standing by the chapel and was wondering what was going on in there. By this time he began to wonder why the organ was playing at wedding reception. When he got to me I handed him a program and he got this super confused look on his face. I told him, "Happy Birthday". He was still standing there looking confused so I told him to follow me.

People on the stand said they could see the confusion on his face and see the wheels spinning. He said as he walked into the chapel (we had the concert in the chapel, it was very much like a fireside, prayers and all) he realized that all these people (125-130 people) were there for him. It wasn't until he sat down and looked at the program that he realized that it was a concert of his music. At that point emotions took over and I have never seen him so happy. He said now he knows what it would be like to attend his own funeral.


The cake was BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you Janie!! It was also delicious, yummy and probably the best tasting cake I have ever eaten!! I know who I am paying to make every cake from now on!

2 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

That was an amazing party! I love that he was so completely surprised!

Mamarazzi said...

popped over from Janie's blog.

i big red puffy heart Janie so i am jealous that y'all are real life friends!

love the whole birthday party thing. i read all about it on Janie's blog. oh how i would love to have a partner in crime like that!

i will add you to my reader and come back...stop in and say hello sometime. i live new bloggy friends!

oh and welcome to blogging...fun!